Friday 6 January 2012

Weaving

In June 2011 I spent a very enjoyable afternoon with a friend visiting a lot of the artists on the Whiteknights Studio Trail. I was enchanted by the work of the textile artist Caroline Marriott and succombed to the purchase of some weaving sticks. Here is a picture of some weaving that I have produced using the weaving sticks. I have worked in to the weaving afterwards with more wool, embroidery threads and beads. The weaving has then been hung between two seed-impressed slabs of clay.
Wall hanging - wool, thread, bead and ceramic (10x33cm)
The enjoyment of this weaving spurred me to create some ceramic 'weaving frames'. On our annual holiday in Pembrokeshire, I regularly visit The Waterfront Gallery in Milford Haven to feast my eyes on the skills of local artists. On one visit several years ago, I was intrigued by the woven pictures created by Michelle Williams which she weaves within her own hand made ceramic frames.
To date, I have made two frames and woven within them, again adding more interest and detail with embroidery and beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment