Friday 23 December 2011

A little history

For as long as I can remember I have loved drawing, painting and making things. Unfortunately my school was too restricting to allow me to study Art A Level as well as Physics, Pure Maths and Applied Maths (who knows I could have been an architect?). My arts and crafts activities were very much in the background until I had the fantastic opportunity to undertake an Access course in Art and Design at Bracknell and Wokingham College in 2003/4. The year (very kindly paid for by the government) was incredibly enjoyable and challenging; it really opened my eyes to all styles of art, especially to working in 3 dimensions using both clay and metal. Here are a few examples of my work produced during this brilliant year.

"Broken Shell Form" (ceramic)
"Nigella Seedhead" (copper with threads on oak base)
"A Twist on Rene Macintosh" (ceramic)
Unfortunately my creative activities came to an abrupt halt at the end of the year as I focused my energies on becoming a Horticultural Therapist with Thrive, which entailed yet more studying, this time successfully completing a year long Diploma in Social and Therapeutic Horticulture.

By 2008 I realised that my life was missing a creative outlet; having loved woking with clay so much on the Access course I signed up for a Ceramics evening class which again is run by Bracknell and Wokingham College and led by the Ceramicist Sue Mundy. This has proved to be the catalyst for lots of new work and a tremendous amount of enjoyment which I look forward to sharing with you in future blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment