Tuesday 27 December 2011

Calla Lilies

As a keen gardener, I love plants and I am fascinated by the miriad of shapes, colours and textures of the plant world.
One flower which has always fascinated me is the Calla lily (or Zantedeschia aethiopica for the pedants amongst us). I have tried to grow the plant, but with limited success, here is a photo of one of the few flowers it has produced.




So being unable to grow the real thing, when I started my evening class in ceramics, I decided to make some for the garden. Having loved using sketchbooks to research all my ideas during my Access course, I have continued with this practise and started my Calla lilies with some preliminary sketches.



From these I then made 5 ceramic lily heads which I mounted on copper tubing inserted into an oak base.
These now live happily in my garden and flower all year!
A friend saw this work in my sketchbook and loved them so much that she commissioned me to make two sets for her to give as presents, so here they are in my garden before being sold.


No comments:

Post a Comment